Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

13 March 2008

Rome is Exhausting Me

I'm on my last full day in Rome (I leave for Florence tomorrow morning), and I have to say that I'm kind of glad about that. This city absolutely exhausts me. Of course, I walked all over hell's half acre yesterday, which contributed to that exhaustion, but there's also a tiredness of a different kind that I seem to get in Rome. It could just be me, but I feel like I always have to be hyper-aware of my surroundings, always have one eye open (and when I've got a giant camera in my face and I'm taking photographs, that's tough), always have my hand on my purse... It's partly because I'm traveling alone right now - normally Chris is around to keep an eye out as I'm blissfully ignoring the world and taking photos - but I can't help but think it's also partly this city.

The first time I visited Rome, I was absolutely knackered after only three days, and yet I was kind of surprised to find that I feel roughly the same way this time. I thought that with a few years of Italian language classes under my belt (not to mention more overall Italian travel experience) I'd be more able to handle Rome. And I do feel much more confident here than I did last time - I've gotten myself all over the place via the bus and walking, not asking directions or getting lost, and that counts for something in my book. But I can't help it... I'm just not built for Rome. I appreciate it (how could you not?), but I'm longing for a city on a smaller scale, a city that doesn't seem poised to eat me alive every time I step out the door. In short, I'm really looking forward to getting to Florence, a city I dearly love.

Rome, it's nothing personal. I think you're a fabulous city, overflowing with history and with oodles to offer, but I guess I can only handle you in small doses. So, no hard feelings, okay? I'll be back. I promise.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I totally agree with you! You took the words right out of my mouth! I am really wanting to experience a smaller town, this city is as much exhausting as it is beautiful-Have a great time in Firenze!

Anonymous said...

I don't doubt it's true but I couldn't help thinking I'm exhausted by work - your exhausted by Rome.

Are you taking a vacation when you get back?

Glen

Anonymous said...

My ideal "vacation" at this point would involve spending the entire day in my PJs with a cat (or two) on my lap working away in my home office. So, yes - I am going on vacation when I get home. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the cats are looking forward to your vacation as well. No matter how wonderful the travel it is always comforting to come back home.

Your blog is great but we do look forward to seeing you once your back and had a little pj time.

Glen