Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

08 September 2008

The Miracle of Bun Toast

You know that I live with a cook - Chris is a wonder in the kitchen. He makes a royal mess when he's really getting into it, but I can't complain. He cooks pizza about once a week, makes homemade tomato sauce & sweet pickles, and even got into making fig jam last year. But when it comes to breakfast, he's a one-trick pony - it's cold cereal and milk in the morning, every morning, and has been for as long as I've known him.

That is, until a few months ago, when he invented Bun Toast.

More accurately it's known as Cinnamon Bun Toast, but he calls it Bun Toast for short. I still don't know what possessed him to create it, but it's genius - it really is. It starts with basic cinnamon toast, but on top of the usual butter & cinnamon sugar he spreads a layer of vanilla cake icing on top of the toast. It's not just any cake icing, though - it's Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy Vanilla, thankyouverymuch. He even writes it that way on the grocery list when I do the shopping, so I don't get the wrong kind by mistake, gawd forbid.

When he first told me about his new creation, I thought he was nuts - but then he made me some Bun Toast one morning for breakfast, and I'll be damned if it didn't taste almost exactly like a cinnamon bun.

Genius, I tell you.

I have friends coming into town this weekend to stay with us, and I told Chris I'd asked them what we needed to have on hand for breakfasts, etc., and he said, "Wait'll I make Bun Toast for them..." So he's all set to spread the Gospel of the Bun Toast. Hope the world is ready.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to make Bun Toast for Mr. Clairol. Maybe then he'll quit bugging me for homemade cinnamon rolls.

Anonymous said...

You'll have to let me know how that goes over. It's an uncanny taste similarity, I have to admit.