Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

24 September 2008

Why I'm Voting for a Republican for the First Time This Year

Before anyone panics, let me start with this - no, it's not McCain. Get real, people.

I've voted in every election that's come up ever since I turned 18, no matter how goofy it seemed that there might only be one person "running" for a school board position or how many British stamps I had to put on my absentee ballot for the 1992 presidential election. Once I became a registered voter, there was going to be no stopping me. And, until this year, that has meant that I've voted for a Democrat in every office where parties were listed. I fundamentally disagree with so much of the Republican platform that it's usually a pretty easy choice to make. I am not, however, one of those people who just sees a "D" by someone's name and votes for them without reading about them or doing my research on them, but I have never found a non-D candidate I thought was good enough to get my vote.

And that's all going to change this November.

In Oregon, of the two major candidates for State Treasurer, I've decided I'm going to vote for the Republican, Allen Alley. I've been mulling over this decision for months now, and I'm sure it's the right choice. Allen's got the most business experience in the race, the best ideas, and the biggest commitment to doing what he can to turn the economy in Oregon around. On top of that, there isn't really a true Democrat in the race at all - the guy with the "D" after his name was an R two years ago (and even was an Independent in between being an R and re-registering as a D). As a lifelong Democrat, I'm thoroughly disappointed in my party, that it thinks he's the best we can do for a candidate. He's not, folks - not even close.

So when my party lets me down, it doesn't make sense for me to reward it by making a bad choice worse. It doesn't make sense for me to support a candidate that I actually think will do harm (and not just be ineffectual) to the state's economy. It doesn't make sense because there's a great candidate on the other side of the proverbial aisle.

And so it is that come November, for the first time in my life, I'm going to check a box next to a name with an R next to it - and I urge you to do the same.

Learn more about Allen Alley at his website

No comments: