Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

31 March 2005

China Guide

I think we're narrowing down our itinerary for China - Shanghai, Suzhou, Xi'an and Beijing. Not sure how long we'll spend in each place yet, or even what order we'll do things in, but now I've got somewhere to direct my research.

Found what looks to be a good (if basic and slightly commerical) online China guide, and so far the city guides look really helpful. I've bookmarked them for later perusal when I'm not so swamped at work.

I feel like I need to start from scratch in terms of my whole approach to this trip - I'm having trouble relying on previous travel experiences, because everything is telling me I'll be in a state of culture shock like never before. I was home sick this week for a day and a half, and spent a few hours reading Lonely Planet's history of China. I just couldn't keep focused (perhaps because of the excessive amount of mucous between my ears). I need to try again - I think I'll have a better appreciation for what to research. Hubby got the GlobeTrekker Beijing city guide from the library, so we'll watch that soon, and that'll help, too.

Ooh, just found something on Lonely Planet's site about Chinese festivals - I was hoping that there would be something going on while we were there, but it looks like we won't be so lucky. Unless, of course, we stay long enough for Confucius' birthday! (Except, upon further inspection, it appears that the PRC celebrates his death on October 1, while Taiwan celebrates his birth on September 28. Looks like we'll miss it after all.)

Okay, back to work - for now. China research will have to wait. Again.

No comments: