Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

07 February 2008

Memorial Gathering & Apartment Hunting

So, this Saturday is the 2nd memorial gathering for my dad, and there are people coming in from out of town starting tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing them, and I think the whole thing will end up being kind of cathartic - hearing the stories, seeing all the pictures, etc. I spent several hours over the weekend scanning photos of Dad into my computer for a slideshow, and while I thought it would be really depressing to go through all those pictures, they mostly made me smile. It's nice to be able to look at those pictures and remember the good things instead of just thinking about the end of his life. I'm sure I'll still have moments where I cry "for no reason," but it's nice to be able to look at those old pictures and just smile already.

In other news, Chris is still on the hunt for an apartment for us to call home during our time in Milan. One great prospect found on the Milan craigslist (yes, there is one) fell through, which was pretty disappointing, but I think we still have several great options. They cost quite a bit more than the one we were hoping to get, but it's just money, right? Even the more expensive apartments are loads cheaper than a hotel, so that's a plus. It's kind of fun to look at the photos of the different apartments and imagine living there, even for a short time. We should be able to secure something in the next few days at least, which will check one more (major) thing off the to-do list. My biggest worry now remains the whole packing thing - I'm not generally known for my ability to pack light, and that's even on two-week trips. I think about our six-week trip and my back already hurts from the heavy bags. Here's hoping I can make great strides towards becoming a light packer in the next 10 days.

No comments: