Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

31 December 2005

I Don't Need Anything That I Don't Have

I've got a zillion posts in "draft" form here, and hope to get to them in the next few days. For the year-end post, however, I'm taking a moment to think about the things I'm thankful for. I know, I know - Thanksgiving was last month, this is the time for resolutions, blah blah blah. But see, I absolutely suck at making and then keeping resolutions (which only serves to make me feel worse about myself, not better), and frankly I think it's a good thing to remind ourselves of the good things in our lives more often than just once a year. Sure, we could probably all stand to lose a few pounds and make a few more dollars a year - but all in all, most of us are pretty damned fortunate.

So - I'm thankful (first and foremost) for my wonderful husband, my family, my friends, my cats (AKA fur-children) and my health.

And as I reflect on the things that make me happy and give me solace, I also remember the people who are distinctly less fortunate than I am - the people who desperately need many of the things I take for granted everyday. And I suppose if I have any resolution at all this New Year's Eve, it is that I give more, do more, and speak up more. Anyone who thinks one person can't make a difference is a cynic as well as mistaken.

And now, to close out 2005 in the spirit of being happy with what we have, here is a song I adore by Glen Phillips:

"Don't Need Anything"

I've got gardens growing, got quiet days
Clothes on my back, food on my plate
Got friends to help me if I call for them
I don't need anything that I don't have

I've got eyes to see this beautiful land
And feet to take me where I want to stand
If there's work to be done, there's these two strong hands
I don't need anything that I don't have

Some years the rains don't come
And some years floods clear out the plains
If those waters washed this town away
I would still have enough if she was with me

I've a roof overhead, the stars if I choose
But I've got no itch to fly, got no need to move
Got almost nothing, but I understand
That I don't need anything that I don't have

Happy New Year, everyone.

No comments: