Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

26 January 2006

I don't like the term "guilty pleasure"

I don't know why, I just don't like the term. I use it, and I get where it comes from, but there's a part of me that really wants to just enjoy whatever it is without also feeling badly about enjoying it.

Not liking the term, however, doesn't mean I'm immune to the feeling (I'm Jewish enough to have got the guilt thing down cold). Though I sometimes crank the volume on the local 80's station when I'm driving around, and though I have every reason to like the music they play (I am, after all, smack dab in the middle of their thirtysomething demographic), I can't seem to resist the urge to turn it waaaay down when I pull up to a stoplight with my windows open. Why do I care what the guy in the car next to me thinks of my musical choices? I don't know, and it bugs me that I do care.

(This is all leading up to something, I promise.)

I've been indulging many a guilty pleasure lately, too - getting all kinds of CDs of albums I only have on cassette from "back in the day," things I'm not entirely sure I'll ever listen to more than once, things I'm tempted to scan into the computer and then to hide somewhere other than the CD shelves (lest anyone actually see them).

But these things give me pleasure, and there shouldn't be any reason to feel bad about feeling good, right? Right?

In an effort to become my ideal person - someone who doesn't give a shit about what anyone else thinks of the things she enjoys - I'm coming clean here about a blog I've been getting inordinate amounts of pleasure out of in the last few weeks. The pictures of the celebrities are priceless - people caught in their weakest moments (fashion-wise), making me feel less like a complete dolt for some of the things I wear. But honestly, the pictures alone wouldn't do it for me. The writing is abso-frickin-lutely hysterical. I tip my hat to the people behind this site, because they completely make my day. Trust me, if you believe in guilty pleasures, this blog will become one. If you're that self-actualized person who has no guilt, then you'll just love the thing outright. Either way's fine with me.

No comments: