Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

10 May 2006

Cruisin' for Somethin'

I've never been drawn to the idea of going on a cruise. I prefer the idea of being in a place with my own timetable (or one that I've at least had a hand in constructing), so I can explore on foot what I want, when I want. Still, I thought that one cruise I might be interested in was up to Alaska's Inside Passage. I've heard that the scenery is beautiful, it's not overly focused on the all-you-can-eat buffet (another reason cruises aren't appealing to me) and the trips aren't very long. So I thought I'd check out the Cruises and Vacation Packages site to see what I could find out about Alaska cruises.

I have to say that although the site seems to be full of great information and deals on vacation packages, the information about the various cruises on offer is seriously lacking. I can look up cruises by the different cruise lines listed, but not by destination. When I click on the various cruise lines' names, I'm given a list of the ships in their fleet - but, again, not where they go. For a cruise expert, this might be fine - they might know exactly where each ship goes, or at least which ship they want to book. For a cruise novice like me, however, it's a frustrating exercise to have to check out each cruise line's individual page. I finally did find information on a cruise to Alaska's Inside Passage, but it felt more like that was based on trial and error than anything else. A destination list for cruises would be infinitely helpful.

Now, the vacation packages part of the website is another matter altogether - there are deals galore here, for just about every destination worldwide you can think of. And the deals do look good. Being a bit of a spy novel buff, this trip in particular caught my eye...

The bottom line for me is that this site doesn't make me want to go on a cruise any more than I did already, and it also doesn't make me optimistic that I'd find what I wanted there even if I changed my mind. Again, if someone is a cruise expert, this site might provide everything necessary... But really, everyone is a novice at some point, right?

Full disclosure: Cruises and Vacation Packages is part of the BootsnAll Travel Network, my employer. As I learn more about the various resources in the Network, I'll post information about them here.

No comments: