Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

18 May 2006

The Shoes that Take Me to Rome

We've been having some fantastically warm weather here in Portland this week, which has given me the excuse I look for each summer to wear the red sandals I bought in Italy in 2001. They're not the only shoes I have that I've bought there, but they're the ones that take me back to Rome every time I put them on.

In 2001, it hadn't occurred to me until I walked the streets in Florence that I should probably buy a pair of shoes in Italy. It's not that I wasn't already an avid shoe collector, I just hadn't considered the possibilities. Browsing the shoe stores in via Calzaiuoli, however, made me change my mind.

Unfortunately, I shied away from what I considered the more outlandish styles that seemed to be everywhere. The fact that they were everywhere should have been a clue to me to just buy them, since they'd undoubtedly be fashionable everywhere in six months (they were), but I wasn't ready to take that kind of leap then. So it wasn't until we got to Rome that I found a pair of sandals I was willing to take home.

They're black and red, which limits the frequency with which I can wear them (black and red not being the most popular summer clothing colors), and my favorite features of them are the heel and the strap - the heel is an angular black wedge, and there's a long red strap that wraps around my ankle several times before tying in the front.

I love the shoes, partly because I love the way they look and the way they make me feel, but most especially because I bought them in Rome. Every time I look at them, I'm transported back to Italy. It's so cool to look down at one's feet during the day and think they're somewhere else.

No comments: