Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

17 February 2006

Windy Weekend Away

The weather here is just crazy at the moment; it's about 24 degrees outside, and with a 25 mile-per-hour wind going we've got a wind chill of something like 10 below. TEN BELOW! That's nuts for this area, just plain unheard of. We don't talk about a wind chill factor here - it's never an issue.

Living out here has turned me into a weather wimp - I'll be the first to admit it. I can clearly recall the years in New Hampshire when we'd have to walk to school even with 3+ feet of snow in the front yard and a wind chill factor below zero every day for months. Sure, we probably complained about the cold, but we bundled up and walked to school. Now, I can't even fathom the idea of a few inches of snow on the ground...

This crazy cold weather is only supposed to last for a couple of days, after which it'll get back to where it's supposed to be in February (40s and 50s). Until then, I plan to be annoyed by the stupid cold.

Tonight, Chris & I are meeting two other left-wing couples to have a drink and then see Al Franken speak - we're all looking forward to that, we just wish he hadn't brought his stupid Minnesota weather with him (see? That's me being annoyed). Then tomorrow Chris & I are going down to my mom's for a couple nights over this holiday weekend. The Internet is very slow at her in-the-middle-of-nowhere house, so I won't be posting again until Monday or so. I hope you all have a great weekend - stay warm, Oregonians. This madness will be over soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't wanna hear it. don't. we had negative digits all weekend BEFORE factoring in the wind chill. heck of a time to be carless.

Jessica said...

Yes, but dear, you have to remember - we don't have any real cold-weather clothing to speak of (unless you're a skier up here, which I'm definitely not), so as far as I'm concerned there's no way to stay warm outside, period. Or there wasn't. The frigid snap appears to have passed...

Perhaps you could build a plexiglass cover for the bike, and install a heater? Get R. working on that one... :)