Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

29 August 2005

Good Parenting

As I pulled up to my workplace this morning, the garbage truck was right behind me. I stepped out of the car and was grabbing my purse when I heard the garbage man say, "So, I guess you're not a Republican, huh?" I smiled (because he was smiling) and said, "How did you guess?"

(The joke here is visual, and since I don't have a picture it's kind of like a visual gag on the radio. In other words, it doesn't work. So I'll explain it. Meaning it will no longer be funny, but at least you'll understand it. See, I have a few lefty bumper stickers on my car - the most prominent one says, "He is not my President." Funny, huh? Funny joke? Okay, nevermind. Read on.)

He then went on to explain that the back of my car looks just like his daughter's backpack. And then he said something that was a pleasant surprise. He said, "I'm a Republican - I'm not a Bush fan, but I'm a Republican. But I've always taught my daughter to think for herself. If she comes to me and says, 'Bush is stupid,' that's not good enough - but she thinks about this stuff more than I do now, and I'm really proud of her for that. If I find new bumper stickers I bring them home to her."

I just thought that was the coolest thing. More people thinking for themselves can only be a good thing for the future of the country.

No comments: