Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

03 August 2005

Into the Fire

I got my first taste of teaching last night - I led the second half of Italian class. The biggest lesson I will need to learn is to interpret that deer-in-headlights look to mean, "Wow, I'm learning something new and it's confusing!" as opposed to, "Wow, you really suck at explaining this topic!" My knee-jerk reaction last night was the latter. I thought I'd totally blown the lesson. And then on the way out the teacher whose class it is said, "You did great!" I'm choosing to believe him rather than think he was just blowing smoke...

Anyway, teaching is hard. This is what I've decided. I've never had to create an agenda for a 2-hour class, let alone a 10-week term. For last night's lesson I'd made copies of three different exercise packets, and we didn't even have time to get through one. I hate to say it, but my first term is going to be a real learning experience - I hope the guinea pigs (I mean students) can forgive me.

No comments: