Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

26 March 2006

Out of Context? I Don't Think So

Ever since we got the whole computer setup thingie (yes, that's a technical term) hooked up to the television in our living room I've gotten into the habit of setting it to record programs I'd never watch otherwise. "Frontline," for instance - I now record it every single time it airs, and even though I might not be interested in the topic when I start watching it, by the end I'm fully educated and enthralled.

Not too long ago, a guest on "The Daily Show" was talking about her new biography of Abraham Lincoln. I've never had an interest in Lincoln before, but I've added that book to my reading queue at the library. And then I noticed the History channel was doing a three-hour bit on Lincoln, so of course I recorded it... Like, four months ago. And I finally got 'round to watching it yesterday.

It was fascinating, and I'm even more curious about reading that book now, but the thing I want to focus on here is that there were two quotes by Lincoln writers which seemed to be more about present-day politics than 19th century politics. One of them was absolutely a stab at the current administration, but the other one? I'm not so sure. You be the judge.

"A war against terror is like a war against dandruff - it's a metaphor - it's not about anything. The Civil War actually meant something." - Gore Vidal

"Mediocre presidents hide from bad news, great presidents reach out for it." - Matthew Pinsker

No comments: