Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

02 April 2005

But it didn't feel like Beaverton...

One of the issues I have is that I get self-conscious about getting my camera out. For instance, on Friday night we went to the biggest local Asian market, and I kept wanting to get my little digie out and snap pictures of the contents of the shelves. Sure, I’m still in America, but if you looked at some of the shelves you’d never know! (I love going into that store – I really do feel as if I’ve left the country for a moment. My favorite aisle is the candy aisle – I love foreign candies. Sweets are a fun way to go shopping in another country without risking eating something too terribly strange. I mean, everyone loves sugar!) I don’t know if I’d be more comfortable taking pictures of a similar market in China – I hope so. I guess I always feel like I don’t want the people who are doing their regular shopping to think I’m treating them like they’re in a zoo. Not that I was even thinking of taking pictures of them, but to them it’s just their local grocery store. Would it make them feel strange if I whipped out a camera? Me, who’s totally obviously not an Asian person, so that I’m sort of a tourist in their market? I don’t know. Probably not. They’d probably look at me as strangely as if someone in my local Safeway was taking pictures of the cereal aisle. I hope in China I decide that I don’t care, because it’s not like I could go back the next day if I change my mind.

No comments: