Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

14 April 2005

A sad day

Chris & I have talked about this before, and I think now we're going to push it.

The Oregon Supreme Court today nullified all the gay and lesbian marriages which were performed in Multnomah County last year, in an apparent landslide of a victory for the other side. (There's a more complete story here.) I understand that the County probably overstepped its bounds in issuing the marriage licenses in the first place - the Court's opinion apparently indicates that this is a "state concern," and therefore the County couldn't jump the gun. I get that, really I do. I also think that we need people/organizations/institutions to push the envelope in some issues if we're going to make progress anywhere. That being said, I'm now concerned that with such a victory for the other side, it may actually have backfired and it could now take longer to get back to where gay/lesbian marriages might be seen as no big deal.

So, since we didn't have a religious ceremony, we aren't "married" either. Don't need to be. If "marriage" is a religious word, then I don't want to be "married" anyway.

Therefore, we will now make a concerted effort to refer to each other as Civil Partners.

The Governor has introduced legislation to make civil unions legal. I really hope that works out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd never thought of it that way, "marriage" being a religious word. That's a rather nifty way to look at it.

That doesn't stop me from being annoyed at the chicanery going on in the name of "saving" marriage. *grumble* Yeah, like us hets are doing such a splendid job with it that it'd be a shame to let anyone else in on the party...

Jessica said...

I know... My favorite ridiculous comment was that gay marriage would somehow degrade the institution of marriage. Right. Like Britney Spears the heterosexual doesn't do a bang-up job of that already...