Where am I now?

As you can see, this blog hasn't gotten any love in many years... But you can now find me on my site jessicatravels.com.

29 July 2005

Reminiscing

All this talk of my Mystic trip the last week made me dig out my journals from that semester. In the third book there are several pages torn from one of my class notebooks on which I gathered quotes from the many books I read and songs I heard. The quotes almost tell me more than the journals about who I was then. A selection, for your reading pleasure...

"I am interested in me. I am a long way still from the fulfillment, the total self-understanding that I long for now. I remain a mystery to myself. I want to get right down to the core, make a final perfect equation before I am through, balance it all up into a tidy whole."
- May Sarton, As We Are Now

"One could make oneself mad by pretending to be, I have sometimes thought. The borderline between reality and fantasy is so thin in this confused, dreadfully lonely place."
- May Sarton, As We Are Now

"Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilized by education: they grow there, firm as weeds among stones."
- Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre

"Ending up where I started again makes me want to stand still"
- Indigo Girls

"Words are a road that leads out of town"
- Transvision Vamp

"Far more mysterious than the call of sex to sex is the tenderness that we throw into that call."
- E.M. Forster, Howard's End

"...it was not until Sebastian, idly turning the pages of Clive Bell's Art, read; 'Does anyone feel the same kind of emotion for a butterfly or a flower that he feels for a cathedral or a picture?' Yes, I do' that my eyes were opened."
- Evelyn Waugh, Brideshead Revisited

"We live as we dream - alone."
- Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

"Everyone around me is driving me mad"
- The Sundays

No comments: